Updated 17 December 2020

Self-Employment Income Support Scheme Grant Extension

The government have announced that the Self-Employment Income Support Scheme Grant has been extended. Visit the GOV.UK page to check if you are eligible, how your grant is calculated and make a claim.

If you were not eligible for the first and second grant based on the information in your Self Assessment tax returns, you will not be eligible for the third.

If you’re eligible, you must make your claim for the third grant on or before 29 January 2021.

Other support

There are two types of support that you may be able to receive through the welfare system:

  1. Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  2. Universal Credit

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

You can apply for Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) if you have a disability or health condition that affects how much you can work.

You can also apply for ESA if you cannot work while you are self-isolating or ‘shielding’ because of coronavirus (COVID-19).

More information about eligibility for ESA can be found on the Government pages.

Universal Credit (UC)

This is a payment to help with your living costs. Your Universal Credit payment is made up of a standard allowance and any extra amounts that apply to you, for example, if you:

  • have children
  • have a disability or health condition which prevents you from working
  • need help paying your rent

To complete your online claim, you should have the following information to hand:

  • Your earnings for the last month – this is all earnings, not just what you have earned delivering with Stuart 
  • Any expenses you have from being self-employed – for example, your fuel costs 
  • Your housing costs (such as your rent or mortgage)
  • Any savings you have over £6,000
  • Anyone else that lives in your household. If you live with a partner, they will also need to open a Universal Credit account
  • Any childcare costs
  • Any other income you may receive – for example, a pension or a bursary

You can read the Government’s advice on Universal Credit and COVID-19 here.

Normally it can take around five weeks to receive your first payment of Universal Credit. However, during your telephone appointment, you can ask for an advance payment of Universal Credit. You can read more about advances here.

ESA and UC can be claimed separately or at the same time. 

Mortgage payment holidays

Update: The government has announced that mortgage payment holidays will no longer end on 31 October 2020. Further information is expected to be announced soon.

Mortgage payment holidays were introduced at the start of the pandemic in March, and were extended in early June. The deadline for applying for a repayment holiday was 31 October 2020.

The mortgage payment holiday will provide flexibility in repaying your mortgage by allowing you to stop or reduce your monthly payments for up to three months. This won’t be suitable for everyone.

Find more information about mortgage payments holidays from the Money Advice Service below.

Did this answer your question?