Which documents prove Right to Work in the UK?

The following documents can be used to demonstrate that you have the Right to Work in the UK:

  • UK Passport or UK Birth Certificate + NIN

  • EU / EEA / Swiss Passport or National Identity Card

  • BRP card - Indefinite Leave to Remain / Settlement / Refugee / Spouse / EU family member / PBS dependant / Tier 1

What if have a T2, T4, or T5 Visa?

These visas do not allow the holder to work as self-employed, and therefore cannot be used to work as a self-employed courier on the Stuart platform. These include the new Skilled Worker visa, Student visa, or Temporary Worker visa (unless it's Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme)

Are Application Registration Cards accepted?

Permission to work will be endorsed in the remarks section on the card. However, Permission to work does not include permission to become self-employed or to engage in a business or professional activity. Any permission to work will come to an end for asylum seekers once the asylum application has been finally determined

What if I'm British but have no passport?

An expired British passport can be used as proof of right to work. Otherwise, a birth certificate (short or long) or adoption certificate issued in the UK, together with an official document giving the person’s permanent National Insurance number and their name issued by a Government agency or a previous employer is accepted.

A NI number alone in any format is not acceptable evidence of a person’s right to work in the UK.

Why aren’t driving licenses issued by the DVLA acceptable?

Although the photo-card driving license contains a digital image and states the country of birth, it does not definitely confirm the holder’s nationality, or their right to work in the UK. Whilst the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency might carry out necessary document checks to confirm an applicant’s identity, this is because they are responsible for issuing documents that confirm an individual is allowed to drive a vehicle, rather than confirming whether or not they have a right to work in the UK.

Can I use my EEA identity card as evidence of RTW?

Possibly. The identity card must describe you as a national or citizen of the relevant EEA country. Some EEA countries issue identity cards to individuals who are residents in their country, but who are not nationals. These individuals will usually have cards that make it clear that they are not nationals of the EEA country concerned, and these will not show a person’s right to work.

If Stuart has any doubts about whether an identity card allows you to work in the UK or otherwise, we may ask you to produce your passport. If Stuart still has doubts about your right to work, we can deny you access to the platform or terminate your account until you can appropriately prove your right to work.

How long will you keep the copies of my documents?

We will keep these copies for the duration of your use of the platform and for a further two years after you leave.

Having trouble with your application? Need an instant answer? Our onboarding support chatbot is here to help answer any questions you may have about your ongoing application. Try it now!

Did this answer your question?