On this page:

  1. 🚲 Bicycles / eBikes

  2. 🛵 Moped / motorcycle / eMoped

  3. 🚗 Cars

All vehicles used while on the Stuart platform must meet road safety guidelines.

Bicycles / eBikes

  1. Cyclists must have working lights on the front and rear of their cycles, switched on between sunset and sunrise; white at the front and red at the rear.

  2. It is required by law that your bicycle have two efficient braking systems, operating independently on the front and rear wheels (as highlighted in the picture below).

  3. eBikes contain a motor in the bottom bracket, which gives added power to assist with pedalling (as highlighted in the picture below). The motor power cannot exceed 250 watts and should not be able to propel the bike when it’s travelling more than 15.5 mph. Some e-bikes look like e-mopeds, however they function as bicycles as they still have pedals and cannot travel more than 15.5 mph, hence on the Stuart platform they are classed under bicycle transport type (see example below).

Regular bicycle example:

eBike example:

Mopeds / Motorcycles / eMopeds

  1. 15.5mph or less

    If an electric motorbike or moped has pedals, a maximum top speed of 15.5 mph and a motor with an output of less than 250W, it's treated the same as an eBike. This means you can legally ride one anywhere you can ride a normal bicycle. You don’t need a car or bike licence, a number plate, tax disc or MOT. The rider needs to be over 14 years of age.

  2. 28mph or less

    The law treats these the same as 50cc scooters, so riders must wear a helmet, the bike must be registered for tax (if applicable), wear a number plate and have an MOT once it hits three years old. You can’t ride these vehicles on motorways or in cycle lanes.

    To ride one, you need to be at least 16 years old and have a provisional driving licence. You also need to take a CBT test and put L-plates on your bike, and you can’t carry a passenger. If you passed your driving test before 2001, you don’t need to sit a CBT or display L-plates.

  3. 28mph+ electric motorbikes and mopeds

    For bikes with a top speed faster than 28mph and a power output of 11kW (125cc) or less, riders need a full driving licence and must pass a CBT test every two years. You also have to display L-plates on your bike.

    Moving up to higher-output electric bikes, riders need to gain the appropriate motorbike licence for the size of bike they want to ride. They can do this in one of two ways: by taking a direct access course or progressing through the licences as they gain experience.

    To learn more about different driving licence categories required for a particular type of vehicle, please see GOV.UK website.

  4. Motor insurance is a must-have when riding a moped or eMoped. It must have at least minimum third party cover. We made a list here of trusted insurance companies.

  5. Stuart provides rental options for eMoped at a discounted price. Options are:

Moped/motorcycle examples:


Under no circumstances can you ride an eScooter on the Stuart platform. It is illegal in the UK to ride one on a public road, pavement or cycle lane. You risk termination of your account if you are found to be riding one. See Stuart's General Conditions of Use here.


The person driving the vehicle must:

  • be of a certain age

  • meet certain medical requirements

The vehicle must:

  • be registered with DVLA

  • have up to date vehicle tax

  • have a current MOT certificate

  • be roadworthy (this means that vehicle must pass all safety inspections to be road legal)

You must also have a minimum of third party insurance that covers your use of the vehicle. See here for a list of trusted insurance companies.

To be able to drive a car, you must know the driving rules in the UK. These rules are displayed in a book called "The Highway Code", you can find it here.

Car example:

Did this answer your question?